The overarching aim of our Special Educational Needs (SEN) policy is to ensure that the needs of pupils with SEN, and the barriers to their learning, are accurately identified and effectively met so that they are able to achieve well and develop well, both as individuals and as members of the community, living life with dignity and independence. (UNCRC Article 23).
To this end, we aim to:
- Assess pupils accurately, track their progress regularly and adjust provision in the light of ongoing monitoring
- Ensure that lessons are stimulating, enjoyable and well differentiated to meet the needs of all pupils, including those with SEN
- Ensure that teaching and learning is multi-sensory
- Make sure that additional support is well targeted, using a judicious blend of in-class support and withdrawal
- Use the most appropriate resources to support learning, taking into account individual learning styles and ensuring that the development of pupils’ literacy skills has the highest priority
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of our provision for all pupils, including those with SEN, to ensure that we are providing equality of educational opportunity and value for money